Monday, September 23, 2013

Foggy mornings, leaves changing, and pumpkins

This is my first real fall, and I'm loving it. Back in Arizona, an early morning chill wouldn't grace the air until late to early October. Locals tell me that it's been a really great summer here in the Pacific Northwest with lots of sunny days. I'm not complaining, in fact, I tried to enjoy every one of those days. Jon and I managed to soak up a lot of sun this past summer; we tried a lot of new activities like stand up paddleboarding and kayaking. We conquered a few new hiking trails and did a lot of outdoor home improvement projects during all those sunny summer days.

But about three weeks ago the first signs of fall started to show:


If you look closely, you can see the Space Needle to the back right of the white SUV.


It would be foggy in the morning, and sunny in the afternoon. Soon those foggy mornings were accompanied by a chill - enough to warrant a light jacket or sweater. And a few leaves started to change color on the trees. Starbucks began offering their Pumpkin Spice Latte. Yep, fall was on the horizon, and I was loving it!

Two weeks ago we had a string of sunny days and great late summer temperatures. Jon and I decided to take advantage of that nice weather by going kayaking. I'm so thankful we did! On the evening we went, the sky was clear of clouds and we stayed out long enough to watch the sun set behind the Olympic Mountains. It was absolutely breathtaking.



I felt like it was a really good way to say "good-bye" to summer. Later that evening as we were walking to dinner I felt a heavy dampness in the air and sensed that summer was truly over. Sure enough, the next day we had rain and cooler weather. We've had a few days of sunshine between then and now, but for the most part, fall is officially here.  I'm actually really loving the whole change of seasons thing. I'm ok trading in shorts and flip flops for a cozy sweater and hot chocolate :-)

 
Enjoying the fireplace

This past weekend I decided it was finally time to decorate for fall, at least outside. I had been planning to wait until the beginning of October, but the weather is convincing me that Fall is here to stay.

Saturday morning Jon and I biked around our neighborhood's community garage sale event and scored a bunch of really cute wooden planters for 25 cents each. We are hoping to start a vertical, urban garden next spring using pallets and these planters will work great for that project. In the meantime, I decided to use a handful of them for some fall decorations on our front porch/walkway.  Check it out!



Fortunately, there are several local farms nearby, so I was able to buy 15 decorative pumpkins for just $10! 3 medium sized pumpkins and 12 decorative gourds/pumpkins.  Add in $1 for the four planters, and our walkway is decorated for fall for just $11. Not bad! I want to add some Halloween-themed decorations as well, but this is a good start.  Now when I walk up the steps to the front door it really feels like fall :-)

What do you like most about fall? Pumpkin carving? Apple cider? Cute boots and scarfs?

No comments:

Post a Comment