Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Catching Dreams

Today's post is more on the personal side. No new projects to post today, but this week my husband and I are working to complete our own version of this bench:

The design is provided by Ana-White.com and we plan to stain it the same wood color as our headboard and add an upholstered cushion to the top. It will go at the base of our bed once completed. We have all the supplies and some of the wood cut, just need to finish it this weekend or next. Will post more on that once it's completed.

As for today's post - I wanted to share some exciting news separate from any DIY projects. For the past several months I have been working to get my own business started. Actually, two businesses started, but more on that later. The exciting news is that one of them is almost ready to be debuted!

A few years ago I was headed down the right path to enter into a Doctor of Physical Therapy program for graduate school. However, after doing some hands-on internship work in the field , I realized that it wasn't quite what I wanted to spend my life doing. I have always yearned to go into entrepreneurship ever since I was a kid. I would often make "businesses" even as early on as elementary school. Thus, after undergraduate school I decided to pursue my MBA degree, which I received last Spring. When the business I was managing unexpectedly closed it's doors last summer I found myself unemployed and desperately trying to "find myself" through a new career. I finally resorted to taking a full time sales job that came with a horrible 2.5 hour commute. I know, what was I thinking? I often ask myself that, even to this day lol. Ever have those occasions in life where you really wonder why you made the choice you did? Regardless, I took this job and knew immediately it was a huge mistake. I did it for the money, which was stupid, and it really wrecked havoc in my life and marriage.

I really believe God orchestrates all things to work together for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). See, I made a bad choice to take the job I took, at least that's what it seemed like to me at the time, but God had bigger plans for it. I had been ignoring my dreams to start my own business for quite some time, always burying those dreams with mounds of fear and doubt. Well, earlier this year God really showed me that it was time to catch my dreams and try my chances at entrepreneurship.

I wish I could say that revelation came easily and painlessly, but it didn't. You know those times in your time when it takes something really big and painful to make you change your perspective and open your eyes? Yeah, that's what happened. See, at this job I was at, I witnessed a horrible, tragic, sudden death of a co-worker only 4 weeks into the new job. I was there next to him when he fell and snapped his neck. He never woke up and was taken off life support three days later. Words can't begin to describe the myriad of emotions I went through for weeks, and even still wrestle with a bit to this day. He was 30 years old and full of life; his funeral ran out of standing room both inside and outside the church.

It didn't take long for me to wake up and realize what a fool I was being for staying at a job I hated. I have one chance in this world to live my life and make a difference with it. Why wait another day to start making that difference? A few weeks later I gave my resignation and to this day I have never looked back.

Now, I am knee-deep in my own two businesses and I wouldn't want it any other way. I have two passions in life - fitness/sports and helping rescue animals. I plan to integrate the two eventually (ie, holding community fitness events (5k walk/runs/etc) to help raise money for the rescue organization I am starting. The opportunities are endless and I am so excited at how far I've come in the past few months from making a dream into a reality.

I am almost ready to debut the fitness business. This morning I set up my phone number and voice-mail for it and I kept listening to it over and over, still in awe that my dreams are finally becoming a reality. I own two businesses. How insane is that. I don't mean that in a prideful way at all, I sincerely mean that in a humble, awed way. I am extremely grateful for these opportunities. I hope to make the best of them. 

My heart breaks for the young man's family who has to deal with the lose of a loved one. But one day I hope to reach out to them and let them know that in a small, yet very significant way, their son inspired me to live my life to the fullest. I am catching my dreams to bring glory to God. Isn't that what life is about?

No comments:

Post a Comment