Friday, May 11, 2012

A Traditional China Cabinet Alternative

Have you ever had one of those "ah-ha!" moments where you felt so elated to learn of a new product that exists, only to have that brief moment quickly zapped by the realization that practically everyone in the whole world has known that product existed for quite some time now. Some might call it a humbling a moment, I prefer to call it an "arghhh" moment. It's like when you first found short ankle socks in the stores and it was the most awesome find ever because everyone was wearing them, until you realized that those socks had already been out in stores for several months and you had been wearing mid-length ankle socks all this time and no one bothered to tell you that those socks were so last year.

What you thought was cool at the time:           What everybody was actually wearing:        
               
(Googe Image link)                                                                    (Google Image Link)


Learning about the Ikea Expedit was kind of like learning about short ankle socks for me. Unfortunately, by the time I learned about the Expedit, I had already completed a DIY project.  It actually turned out really well, but I would have saved a lot of time and effort by using an Expedit instead of assembling 3 seperate Target shelving units. Here's the breakdown of this DIY project:

I knew I wanted a china cabinet to display special dishes I had received from my grandparents for my husband and mine's wedding. I did not want a traditional china cabinet so I opted to go for a more modern, youthful look. I decided on these shelving units at Target. I purchased three of these during a major sale for a grand total of ~$90.00. In retrospect, it saved me about $40.00 in comparison to the Ikea Expedit. Without a Target sale, however, the Expedit is the cheaper option.

With my husband's help, we assembled the shelves, opted to leave off the white backing panels, laid them horizontally, stacked the horizontal pieces vertically, and then secured them with the provided brackets, like this.
   (Circle shows the two separate units stacked atop each other,
    the arrow points to the back, where bracket secures the units together)

(The bracket in the back, against the wall side so it's not visible. Use these on each side to fully secure)

 The shelves are designed to be interlocked, so assembling these atop each other was pretty easy. The brackets added extra safety so the separate shelves wouldn't detach and fall over. I added some cute decorations and the china dishes and this is the end result:
Ta-da! I'm so happy with the way it turned out!


Fill each cube space with books, cook books, and other things that show your personality and style and you've got yourself a fun, youthful looking alternative to a china cabinet!

The Target shelves worked well, but if I had to redo it all over, I would have spent the extra few $$ on the Expedit =) Another DIY lesson learned.

~KJY



No comments:

Post a Comment